Foonetic (originally FooNet/havocnet) IRC is a small network started by
friends in 2000. We have evolved considerably since then and now have more
users, more stable servers, and more channels. You are always welcome to
visit us and founding new channels is encouraged, provided you follow the
rules. IRC was here before AIM and MSN and Twitter, and
it will be here long after they're dead and gone. Come join us!
- irc.foonetic.net (IPv4 & IPv6)
- irc6.foonetic.net (IPv6 only)
For a random server, connect to irc.foonetic.net. Or, choose a server you are geographically or networkly close to from the list below. All servers support SSL connections on port 6697 and port 7001. Regular IRC is usually supported on 6667, 6668, 6669, 7000. If your client won't automatically prefer IPv6, connect to irc6.foonetic.net.
All servers may accept connections on additional ports, check the server's
New Europe server! Connect to anchor.foonetic.net located in London, UK.
If you are having trouble connecting to a ban you believe may be in error,
or any other reason, please email help at foonetic.net. If you are banned,
please include details in your message, including the host address you are
trying to connect to. Answers to frequently asked questions may be found on
the Foonetic Wiki.
- Boston, MA
- 100Mbit Ethernet from TowardEx Technologies
Native IPv6 by OCCAID
- spinfire (dpn[at]isomerica.net), aelscha (aelscha[at]isomerica.net)
- Hartland, WI
- 30Mbit fiber from Time Warner Telecom
- havoc (havoc[at]havoc.org, chillywilly (danielb[at]libentech.com)
- Boston, MA
- 100Mbit Ethernet from TowardEx
Native IPv6 by OCCAID
- xavier (steve[at]staticfree.info)
- London, England, UK
Problems and Abuse
If you have problems with foonetic or wish to report abuse, please contact us at opers[at]foonetic.net.
Original map courtesy of Wikipedia.
More detailed network statistics
- #help: Looking for an IRCop? #help has them. There are
also some nice people who can help you resolve any issues you might have.
- #pugglewump: On its fourth network and nth year, #pugglewump is, well, pugglewump!
- #techwarelabs: Channel for Techwarelabs
- #xkcd: xkcd: A
webcomic channel of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.
- #xkcd-signal: xkcd-signal is moderated by a bot which enforces uniqueness. Check the link for details!
- If you want your channel listed here or you want stats for your channel, let an operator know.
Foonetic uses the UnrealIRCd, which supports many user and channel modes. In addition to the standard channel modes supported on most IRCds, Unreal supports several others. Consult the UnrealIRCd users manual for details.
The user modes supported for non-operators are:
- +i: Invisible. Recommended. Non-operators cannot see you unless they are in the same channel as you are
- +x: Cloaking. Hide your hostname from evildoers.
- +s: See server messages.
Standard network services such as NickServ, ChanServ are available.
Register your nicks and channels to gain these features.
For the most part, Foonetic is a place to do your own thing. However, some rules exist to prevent abuse and make the network a better place. Use of an IRC network is a privilege, not a right; abuse of privilege will lead to loss of privilege. Server administrators have absolute say over whether you are allowed to use their server or not.
- IRC Operators and Admins are all volunteers of their time, equipment, and bandwidth. Please don't be rude to us or waste our time. Taunt server-ops at your own peril.
- Proxies and TOR: Due to increasing issues with abuse,
we have been forced to ban open proxies and TOR nodes from connecting to
our network. While we respect the anonymity that TOR provides, it also
prevents us from being able to keep the network free of spam and usable
for everyone else. We used the
Blitzed Open Proxy Monitor to scan for open proxies upon connect.
This tool verifies that your host is not running any open proxies or
otherwise open to abuse whenever you connect. Contact help at foonetic.net
if you are banned in error. Please be aware the proxy monitor tries to
connect to ports on your system and may cause firewall notifications.
- Flooding: Flooding of any kind is not allowed and is grounds for being banned from the network. If your client floods by accident, you may be kicked from your current channel or silenced temporarily by an operator.
- WaReZ and Illegal Activities: WaReZ trading is not permitted, and the network is not for conducting activities which may be illegal. Conspicuous illegal activity is immediate grounds for a network ban.
- Harassment: Harassment of any kind is not tolerated on foonetic (including, but not limited to: about a person's race, gender, age, etc). If you are being harassed in a channel and the ops can't / won't help, please talk to an network operator in #help.
- Session Limits and Cloning: There is a session limit of 10 IRC clients per address in effect by default. If you are accessing the network from behind a NAT router or from a shell server and exceed this limit, an exception can be set for you by an IRCop. Cloning clients with intent to abuse the network is grounds for banning, even if you have fewer than ten clones.
- Bot Policy: Well behaved bots are allowed. Annoying bots or bots which are insecure or poorly behaved are not allowed. Channel owners may have their own policy for public bots; it is advised you check with
a channel operator before bringing a bot into a channel. Excessive bots from a single network address may exceed the session limit and/or be considered cloning. Please mark your bot with user mode +B and your nick in the "Real Name" field so that an oper can locate you if your bot malfunctions. Absolutely no "botnets" are allowed and any illegal activity will be reported to your ISP!
- Channel Policy: The operators of a given channel are there to moderate the channel and prevent abuse of the channel. Trolling, use of colors, beeps, and other annoying activity may be against the policy of certain network channels. Some channels are private. Please do not attempt to join private channels. The channel operator is in charge of the channel; IRCops will not intervene except in extreme circumstances.
- Ban Evasion: Ban evasion is not permitted. If you have been banned from a channel, negotiation is between you and the channel operators. Ban evasion is grounds for being banned from the network.
- CGI:IRC and IRC hosts Services such as CGI IRC and open IRC hosts/bouncers can be problematic. In the event that there is a problem with a user from such a host, there is no alternative to banning the entire host.
For this reason, we request that you contact a network operator before setting up such a system. Please note that we cannot guarantee that your host won't be banned in the event of trouble.